Top Bar

Bottom Bar

Team Angie – Scleroderma Awareness
Published by Susan Matthews on June 1, 2017
.........................................................................................................................................

Angie surrounded by staff members (Team Angie) wearing T-Shirts to support scleroderma awareness.Stedman Primary is a special place with special people — staff and students.  One often hears the words “my Stedman Primary family” spoken among staff members.  These words are not spoken lightly, but with much feeling.  To learn more about the strength and faith of a beloved member of the staff and how her Stedman Primary family has rallied around her, continue to read the following article written by that staff member.  

Angie’s Story

My name is Angela T. Melvin, known as “Angie” by most.  I am a teacher assistant at Stedman Primary School.  I have a disease called SCLERODERMA.  It is a connective tissue disease for which there is no cure.  Scleroderma affects everyone of all ages differently.  Basically with scleroderma, your body produces too much collagen, which can harden the skin and organs.  Your body slowly turns to stone.  Scleroderma has consumed my whole digestive tract, which makes some days more difficult than others.  It is in my heart and lungs, too.  My body is turning to stone internally.

I am speaking out, hoping to bring awareness to this awful disease.  With more awareness, chances are increased for finding a cure.

The picture shown is of my school family.  They support me everyday.  On March 30, 2017, I walked into the school building as normal to see, one-by-one, my co-workers wearing “Team Angie —- Scleroderma Awareness” shirts.  The shirts were made by a teacher at Stedman Elementary.  The love and support that was demonstrated that day was incredible.

I don’t know what tomorrow will bring, but I do know I’m not giving up the fight to live everyday to the fullest.  I thank God for each day I have, and I’m praying for a cure.

For more information, go to www.scleroderma.org. Check out the Scleroderma Foundation.  June is Scleroderma month.  Let’s find a cure!!! 

written by Angela T. Melvin
Team Angie

Bottom Bar

• Visit links for more information

• Visit links for more information

Bottom Bar
Cumberland County Schools
2465 Gillespie Street • Fayetteville, NC 28306
910.678.2300
© Cumberland County Schools

Send questions or comments to Web Manager

Copyright/Privacy Notices and Disclaimers | Derecho de Propiedad Literaria/Avisos Privados y Renuncias